Meridia is used to treat obesity. It should be taken in conjunction with a reduced energy diet and increased exercise activity as part of a comprehensive body weight reduction program, as long as the regimens alone (ie diet and body activity) are poorly effective. Treatment should be part of a weight reduction program.
The characteristics of Meridia 15mg
Sibutramine, the drug of Meridia, belongs to a group of medicines for the treatment of obesity, which increase the sense of saturation and simultaneously increase the energy expenditure of the organism. This team, along with diet and exercise, helps reduce the body weight of the patient. Meridia is used to treat obesity. It should be taken in conjunction with a reduced-energy diet and increased exercise activity as part of a comprehensive body weight reduction program, as long as the regimens themselves (ie diet and body activity) were not effective enough.
It has no addictive or psychostimulatory effects.
Pharmacology related to that product
This product is helpful in reducing the amount of Norepinephrine, serotonin and dopamine in the synaptic cleft of the body as this product is involved in the inhibition of the reuptake of the monoamines. Appetite gets affected by using this type of serotonergic acting drugs. Anorectic agents like amphetamine and fenfluramine are involved in the activity which enhances the release of these neurotransmitters rather than affecting the rate of uptake of these neurotransmitters.
Sibutramine has failed its activity in the animal testing as antidepressant despite its activity is similar to that of the tricyclic antidepressants. This product gets approved by the Food and Drug Administration FDA for the treatment of obesity.
This product is the precursor for the two metabolites like desmethyl sibutramine and di-desmethyl sibutramine. These to metabolites are highly active and have greater potency as MRI.
This product absorption is best from the gastrointestinal tract but after its absorption, its first metabolite reduces its bioavailability. The half-life of that product is only 1 hour and its maximum plasma level can e achieved in only 1 hour. This product gets metabolized into two metabolites by the action of enzyme names as P450 isozyme CYP3A. These two metabolites are pharmacologically active and are also known as primary or secondary amines and have half-life approximately 14 to 16 hours. The maximum plasma concentration of these metabolites can be achieved by approximately 3 to 4 hours. The metabolites after the activity leave the body in urine.
Treatment should be part of the weight reduction program for:
- patients with obesity due to energy imbalance due to overwork (BMI 30 kg / m2 and above);
- overweight patients (BMI 27 kg / m2 and above) and present risk factors such as diabetes II. type or disorder of blood lipid (dyslipidemia);
Treatment should be supervised by a doctor who has experience with the treatment of obesity. Weight reduction should be associated with a change in diet and eating habits and an increase in physical activity.
The medicine should not be used in:
- hypersensitivity to sibutramine or another component of the medicine;
- serious eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia);
- obesity caused by a cause other than being passed (organic causes);
- certain mental or nerve diseases (eg Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome);
- concomitant use of sleeping, weight-reduction, antidepressant and antipsychotic products;
- heart and vessel disease;
- increased activity of the thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism);
- severe hepatic impairment;
- severe renal impairment;
- prostate enlargement with urine retention;
- adrenal gland tumors (pheochromocytoma);
- green glaucoma (glaucoma);
- drug, drug or alcohol dependence;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding.
occur mainly at the start of treatment during the first 4 weeks. Their frequency is relaxed over time. As a rule, they are not serious, do not lead to discontinuation of treatment and are transient. Side effects include increased blood pressure, heart rate, dry mouth, constipation and headache.
take one capsule of Meridia 15 mg once a day with or without food and have to drink it with enough fluid.